Draco Malfoy is a student at the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. He’s the same age as Harry Potter though the two are sworn enemies. Malfoy’s parents, Lucius and Narcissa, are Death Eaters, supporters of Lord Voldemort, and young Malfoy makes no mistake about where his loyalties lie. The Malfoys are pure blood wizards and look down on those who are Muggle born. The Malfoy family is quite well to do, and Draco doesn’t want for much.
About Draco Malfoy
- Draco meets Harry at Diagon Alley without knowing who he is and they have a relatively friendly exchange. Once they meet at Hogwarts however, Malfoy and Potter become bitter enemies after Harry sides with Ron Weasley.
- Draco’s father, a Death Eater, knows many people at the Ministry of Magic and often tries to manipulate the system in his favor.
- The Malfoy family looks down on the Weasley family because they’re poor.
- Draco’s father wants Professor Dumbledore removed as Headmaster of Hogwarts.
- Draco is friends with Vincent Crabbe and Gregory Goyle who act the role of his henchmen when he’s teasing or bullying one of the other students.
- Draco is rude to a hippogriff and receives a bite in the arm as thanks. After complaining to his father, the hippogriff receives a death sentence.
- Draco is an informer to Rita Skeeter, a malicious newspaper columnist.
- Draco becomes a Seeker on Slytherin’s Quidditch team after his father buys the whole team top of the line Nimbus 2001 broomsticks.
- Draco becomes a Prefect during his fifth year at Hogwarts.
- Draco is a member of sadistic Professor Umbridge’s Inquisitor Squad and helps to discover Dumbledore’s Army, which leads to a painful punishment for Harry Potter.
- After Lucius Malfoy is imprisoned at Azaban, Draco takes his place as a Death Eater.
- Draco is seen crying in the lavatory after not being able to repair the Vanishing Cabinet, which will enable the Death Eaters to penetrate Hogwarts.
- Lord Voldemort orders Draco to kill Professor Dumbledore. When he is unable to do so, Professor Snape does it instead and the two disappear.
Professor Severus Snape is the head of House of Slytherin and the Potions Master at the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Snape is a half-blood wizard; his mother was a witch and his father a Muggle. Though Snape was one of Voldemort’s followers, he claims to have reformed and is often defended by Professor Dumbledore. Still, there are times it’s unclear where Snape’s loyalties lie.
About Severus Snape
- Almost from the beginning, Professor Snape seems to have it in for Harry Potter. His loathing for Harry stems from Snape’s own school years at Hogwarts when he was a victim of James Potter and Sirius Black’s bullying.
- While at Hogwarts as a student, Snape is sorted into the house of Slytherin, where most students go on to practice dark magic.
- James Potter humiliates Snape when he uses Snape’s own Levicorpus curse to have him dangle upside down, showing his undergarments.
- Snape calls himself the “Half Blood Prince.”
- Snape is skilled at making potions and leaves detailed notes in the margins of his textbook. When Harry Potter receives the same textbook many years later, he excels at potions thanks to Snape’s notes.
- Snape may have been in love with Lily Evans, Harry Potter’s mother.
- While a student, Snape invents two curses: “Levicorpus” which causes its victim dangle upside down, and “Sectumsempra” which causes its victim to be slashed and cut.
- Almost dies after Sirius Black plays a practical joke, but James Potter saves him.
- Becomes the Potions Master at Hogwarts.
- Though he teaches Potions for most of his tenure at Hogwarts, he covets the Defense against the Dark Arts position the most. He’s finally able to teach this subject during Harry Potter’s sixth year at Hogwarts.
- Is a Death Eater and responsible for telling Voldemort the prophecy which led to the death of Harry’s parents.
- After claiming he’s reformed, Snape becomes a member of the Order of the Phoenix, a group devoted to battling Voldemort and his Death Eaters.
- Tends to favor students from his own house over students from others, especially Gryffendor.
- May be a double agent for one or both sides.
- When Professor Quirrell attacks Harry during a Quidditch match, Snape performs a counter curse to keep him safe.
- Snape defends Harry from Sirius Black while under the impression Black is out to harm him.
- Snape often threatens to have Harry expelled, and is disappointed when Harry isn’t punished for many of his deeds.
- Makes an unbreakable vow with Narcissa Malfoy to watch over her son Draco and fulfill his mission if he fails. Draco Malfoy’s mission is to kill Professor Dumbledore.
- Kills Albus Dumbledore.
When Hagrid delivers 16 month old Harry Potter to his Aunt & Uncle, the Dursely’s, he’s riding Sirius Black’s motorbike. Sirius Black is James and Lily Potter’s dearest friend, and Harry’s Godfather. The magical world soon learns Black betrayed Lily and James to Lord Voldemort, leading to their death. He’s also responsible for the death of good friend Peter Pettigrew and a dozen Muggles.
About Sirius Black
Sirius Black’s family disowns him when he doesn’t follow in their footsteps and practice dark magic.
Sirius is the only member of his family not sorted into the House of Slytherin.
Sirius left home at the age of sixteen to live with James Potter.
Sirius’ cousin is Bellatrix Lestrange, a known Death Eater.
Sirius Black’s brother Regulus was a Death Eater who was killed by Lord Voldemort.
Sirius Black’s best friends at Hogwarts are James Potter, Remus Lupin and Peter Pettigrew.
Though gifted students, Black and Potter are pranksters and sometimes even bullies while students at Hogwarts.
Sirius Black can turn into a dog.
Sirius escapes from Azkaban during Harry’s third year at Hogwarts.
Harry Potter learns Sirius didn’t betray his parents or murder anyone. Peter Pettigrew is responsible for all the deaths, and in fact, Pettigrew is alive and living as Ron Weasley’s pet rat Scabbers.
Harry Potter and Hermione Granger rescue Sirius Black from the dreaded Dementor’s Kiss, and helps him escape on the hippogriff Buckbeak.
After a year on the run, Black returned to his childhood home, turning it into the headquarters for the Order of the Phoenix.
Helped battle Death Eaters at the Department of Ministries and is eventually killed by his cousin Bellatrix Lestrange.