July 2, 2007 | Filed Under Characters
Professor Severus Snape is the head of House of Slytherin and the Potions Master at the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Snape is a half-blood wizard; his mother was a witch and his father a Muggle. Though Snape was one of Voldemort’s followers, he claims to have reformed and is often defended by Professor Dumbledore. Still, there are times it’s unclear where Snape’s loyalties lie.
About Severus Snape
- Almost from the beginning, Professor Snape seems to have it in for Harry Potter. His loathing for Harry stems from Snape’s own school years at Hogwarts when he was a victim of James Potter and Sirius Black’s bullying.
- While at Hogwarts as a student, Snape is sorted into the house of Slytherin, where most students go on to practice dark magic.
- James Potter humiliates Snape when he uses Snape’s own Levicorpus curse to have him dangle upside down, showing his undergarments.
- Snape calls himself the “Half Blood Prince.”
- Snape is skilled at making potions and leaves detailed notes in the margins of his textbook. When Harry Potter receives the same textbook many years later, he excels at potions thanks to Snape’s notes.
- Snape may have been in love with Lily Evans, Harry Potter’s mother.
- While a student, Snape invents two curses: “Levicorpus” which causes its victim dangle upside down, and “Sectumsempra” which causes its victim to be slashed and cut.
- Almost dies after Sirius Black plays a practical joke, but James Potter saves him.
- Becomes the Potions Master at Hogwarts.
- Though he teaches Potions for most of his tenure at Hogwarts, he covets the Defense against the Dark Arts position the most. He’s finally able to teach this subject during Harry Potter’s sixth year at Hogwarts.
- Is a Death Eater and responsible for telling Voldemort the prophecy which led to the death of Harry’s parents.
- After claiming he’s reformed, Snape becomes a member of the Order of the Phoenix, a group devoted to battling Voldemort and his Death Eaters.
- Tends to favor students from his own house over students from others, especially Gryffendor.
- May be a double agent for one or both sides.
- When Professor Quirrell attacks Harry during a Quidditch match, Snape performs a counter curse to keep him safe.
- Snape defends Harry from Sirius Black while under the impression Black is out to harm him.
- Snape often threatens to have Harry expelled, and is disappointed when Harry isn’t punished for many of his deeds.
- Makes an unbreakable vow with Narcissa Malfoy to watch over her son Draco and fulfill his mission if he fails. Draco Malfoy’s mission is to kill Professor Dumbledore.
- Kills Albus Dumbledore.